1. Government leadership
- Involve the MoH from the beginning.
- Integrate the project into long-term planning.
- Leverage the existing national health systems and tools rather than creating your own.
- Integrate data into district reporting.
2. Locally sourcing
- Employ a permanent local software development team.
- Have a permanent project manager who can coordinate partners.
- Create government-led working groups.
3. Cost control
- Negotiate with telecom companies for scale, not pilots.
- Utilise the phones people have rather than purchasing and supporting a national phone system.
- Create district-level training teams.
- Make decisions based on identified needs of the end users.
- Create the tools with the people who are going to use them.